I Bought A New Phone And It Doesn’t Start With “i”

Rumor is Apple’s newest iPhone will be announced tomorrow. I will look with interest, but I’m out of the market. I bought a new phone yesterday and should have it tomorrow. It’s a Samsung Galaxy S 2.

First things first. I bought it online instead of going to the AT&T store. Amazon is selling it $50 cheaper than AT&T, there’s no shipping and… well you know about Amazon and sales tax.

The phone has been available in Europe and Asia for months where it’s received rave reviews. It’s super thin with a high contrast AMOLED screen. There are two cameras (front and rear) and the capability of shooting and viewing high def 1080p video. The Galaxy S 2 is powered by a dual core processor and runs on version 2.3 of Google’s Android operating system.

It’s considered state-of-the-art as attested to by an Los Angeles Times article that’s ostensibly about the rumored iPhone.

The standard right now for high-end smartphones (such as the Droid Bionic and Samsung Galaxy S II) is a dual-core processor, about 1 gigabyte of RAM, at least 16 gigabytes of storage memory and an 8-megapixel rear camera capable of shooting 1080p high-definition video and a better-than-VGA front facing camera.

The Galaxy S 2 doesn’t run Apple’s iOS. Only time will tell if that’s an advantage or disadvantage, but I feel like I’ve been fighting a constant battle against Apple in trying to make my iPhone do things it can do, but Apple doesn’t want it to do.

That’s not to say Samsung/AT&T have taken a laissez faire attitude. They’re just not as diligent as Apple!

I have a better profane analogy I’ll hold for now.

I’m excited about putting this phone through its paces, but I also know it can be returned if need be. I hope I don’t have to.

14 Responses to “I Bought A New Phone And It Doesn’t Start With “i””

1. wfs13 says:

Two of my kids have been holding off on phone replacements until the iPhone comes out. I forwarded them a link to your blog, but it won’t matter. Personally, if I were in the market for a new webphone, I would go with something like this.

2. John says:

Geoff:
    Got a HTC Sensation from T-Mobile a few weeks ago. My first smartphone. Used a Blackberry before. Has much the same stats as the one you just ordered. Still learning what it does.
    John

3. Dan says:

im a big iphone user myself but I believe I may be leaning towards the GS2 as well , depending on what comes tomorrow. If the new iphone is not a redesign and has the current i4 form factor with just faster internals , I will pass. Im growing tired and bored of IOS.

4. DorisC says:

I recently dipped into the smart phone pool and purchased a Droid 3. I love it!!! My favorite feature it the pull out keyboard for easy texting. I am still navigating my way through all the cool features, but I am so far very happy with my purchase!

5. vinnya says:

too bad verizon isnt going to carry the Galaxy unless they change there mine.

6. Jim says:

I’m proud of you for not taking the easy way out and just getting an iPhone like everyone else. Droid user for almost 2 years and I love it.

7. karen says:

SGS2 is an excellent phone… had the international version (used it on AT&T), now have the Sprint version (because Sprint has better network coverage at my home).

8. Sally says:

I am joyfully cell phone-free. I have no idea how to (1) choose one (2) figure out a payment plan that doesn’t (3) rip you off.

9. Heather says:

Welcome to the cult of Android :D

I give you three days before you root the sucker!

10. David says:

Excellent choice Geoff! You’ll see tomorrow if the iPhone is announced that you have the better device! You’ll love the screen too! Enjoy!

11. Larry says:

Hi. Disclaimer: iPhone user and near-Apple-fanboy here, so take this as you will. I mean this in the nicest, most respectful way.

Can someone please explain why the (admittedly) closed system of the iPhone is so objectionable? Is it simply a position of principle? I can respect that, but I find it hard to believe that with some 250,000 apps available, there is something that the iPhone can’t provide for users. And iPhone can be jailbroken — rooted, just like Android –for further tweaking. It’s not supported by the company, but I doubt a rooted Android phone would be supported either if you called your provider for help.

That said, I look forward to your comments about the new toy.

12. Dan says:

Yea Larry good question.

I asked my buddy who is an avid droid lover what his phone could do that my jailbroken iphone couldnt, he couldnt come up with anything.

I guess its just personal taste if anything.

13. Merrilee says:

Playing for the Android side (similar to Mac vs PC teams) I have the first Galaxy S – Captivate and I love it – the display is definitely the best around with gorgeous color and clarity and it’s fast. However, take heed – I too always expect my phone to act like a computer – which we have to remember – none of them do because they are in fact, just phones.

14. vinnya says:

what you dont fill out that use tax form with your tax return and pay tax on what you bought out of atate, for that matter does anyone ?