My studio’s control room was rebuilt this weekend. Everything is fantastic. I’m very happy.
But the story doesn’t end there…
Starting Sunday night I noticed a few random hits on my video between the control room and my ‘transmitter’. On Monday it got worse.
The Dejero VSET LIVE+ was throwing a fit. As soon as one of these bad patches of video hit it, it would unlock the sound and picture. Out of sync! Then it would freeze.
I began to troubleshoot the problem. I’m not going to detail everything, but I wiped the TriCaster clean then reloaded all the software and patches… twice. I swapped cables and plugs and everything else swappable.
Twenty hours and a boatload of angst later I think I’ve found the cause. A cable. A ****ing.
This cable has been lying in place since I built the studio in January. One end was moved a few feet this weekend.
I ran out of alternatives. It was the least likely thing to check. I ran to Home Depot to fetch a temporary replacement.
A problem like this can turn your life upside down. It did mine. All of this is my responsibility. I can’t call Al in Engineering.
I was eating my kishkes out.