I’ve Got TV Visitation Rights

Back when I was gainfully employed I seldom visited other TV stations. Now it’s different. I drove up to Hartford to see some friends at the Courant and FoxCT. It’s a very impressive place!

Both the TV station and newspaper are located in a state-of-the-art building on Broad Street at the edge of downtown. They share a common newsroom which meant lots of busy people. I miss that electricity.

I saw lots of old friends–all smiling.

I wasn’t in the building five minutes when I ran into MaryEllen Fillo. This evening her Java blog proclaims: “Geoff Fox Visits Fox CT Newsroom.”

Guilty as charged! However, as of tonight I have nothing to report… except they misspelled my name.

20 Responses to “I’ve Got TV Visitation Rights”

1. Mikey P says:

Glad to see the kinship between CT media personalities still holds true. I hope when the awkward phase passes, you can go visit WTNH to see old coworkers (I hope you still see your friends regularly).

Hopefully something turns up for you soon at FOX CT or elsehwere, though seeing you on Fox 61 would be weird, given your more liberal leanings. ;)

2. Noreen says:

The other night with out thinking I just turned on the news and you were not there.. it really is not the same listening to the weather at night I have not been able to find the right station for me… you really are a tough act for anyone to follow.

3. Kate Kutash says:

Don’t give up yet, there’s more weather by Geoff Fox coming up next…….still watching to see who picks you up. Can’t take the dweebs that 8 hired!!! Gil and Mel are OK but the other two?

4. Charlie M says:

Geoff, they shouldhavef hired you while you were there. CT needs a good meteorologist. Never would have guessed you were 60. Or did Ms Filo misspeak?
    Good Luck in your web design project.

5. John R. Trevisan says:

Good luck Geoff! If FOX CT hired you, along with that would come over 10,000 viewers from the “Keep Geoff Fox on Channel 8″ page. Channel 8 was SO stupid!

• D-J from Redding says:

I didn’t ‘like’ that page since I don’t think Ch8 deserves him anymore and it would be really awkward! Wonder if they can change the name of the page to something else? ;-)

6. Diane of Cromwell says:

I hope, hope, hope, the “visit” was for an interview! You at Fox CT would be the best. Plus a very large instant spike in their viewership. We miss ya (on air) for sure!

7. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don’t know. The place is so Tea Bagger Central.

• Geoff Fox says:

Ah – misconception. Let me help you.

Fox News and the Fox Network are both owned by News Corp. WTIC (FoxCT) and the Courant are owned by Tribune Corp.

Most of what FoxCT gets from Fox are programs like American Idol, NFL Football and The Simpsons. There are also some news reports, but they’re non-partisan news stories, not opinion pieces.

So, even though share the name Fox there’s not a whole lot in common.

8. BillD says:

Hopefully it will soon be “Fox on Fox”. :)

9. Debra says:

Thank you for explaining the Fox News, Fox Network and FoxCT differences. I hope The Laurel was correct. Good Luck Geoff!

10. Regina says:

Well we miss you Geoff so I hope you find a new local home soon. Just today a man coming thru my grocery line commented on missing you as well!

11. Diane says:

Keeping our fingers crossed. Would love to see you on a CT station. It is horrible not watching you. You are truly the best. Fox CT should seriously consider you. It would be such a plus for them and for us. Take care and dont give up.

12. Margaret says:

We’ve been alternating between every CT station except WTNH. We like that FoxCt has AM news from 8 to 9. They also beat WTNH in the afternoon by an hour! If any CT station picks you up, they’ll see a surge in their ratings!

13. Evi from Danbury says:

I really find it remarkable that I changed a lifelong habit when you left Channel 8. For as long as I can remember, I’d always watch that channel no matter what. I waited for your weather at 6 and 11 but when you were gone, I simply disabled 8 on my Cable box. I’ve never watched another program on their station and don’t plan to. I would, however, be a very loyal follower and sponsor supporter of any regional station that you might be on! I’m sure there are, oh, about 10,000 other viewers who feel the same!! :D

14. Laura says:

Well, based on your posting over on the facebook page, it sounds very promising!! We are so looking forward to your return. Crossing fingers for you…I’ve been watching Fox since you left WTNH, and I like the meteorologists over there (Dan and Rachel) so it would be a trifecta as far as I am concerned. :)

15. Dave says:

So FoxCT is no longer “the enemy.” I guess the state TV market isn’t like some Congress people, where they argue and get nasty during working hours and then socialize after hours.

16. MaryAnn Ellison says:

I have alwqays found Fox-CT to be the best local news station.

They have consistently scooped TNH every day on things happening right in TNH’s own backyard!

You would be a FANTASTIC addition to Fox-CT and I hope you get the greatest offer ever!!No doubt they will appreciate the huge following of dedicated watchers you will bring to their channel—and what that is worth in the value of their station.

We are all waiting to find out to which channel we will all be tuning in!!

17. DAF says:

I think you would be a good fit for this station. :-)