Steve Jobs gave another iPhone 4 presentation today. This wasn’t as joyous as his first because he was trying to undo the damage from a small technical problem that Apple milked into a large PR problem.
The solution to Apple’s iPhone 4 antenna woes is free cases for all! Even Consumer Reports was hoping for that solution. Who am I to not approve?
Unfortunately some of Jobs’ presentation didn’t make sense to me, specifically where he said all smartphones suffer signal degradation when you hold them the wrong way.
- The iPhone’s antenna is external–actually part of the case
- Holding the phone with your finger in the wrong spot on the antenna detunes it attenuating the signal
- A plastic or rubber case/bumper will solve the problem by moving your finger off the antenna
But Steve, the other smartphones already have plastic around their antennas because all the other smartphones have their antennas inside the case.
- A case solves the iPhone’s problems
- The other ‘pre-cased’ phones really don’t suffer this problem.
It doesn’t seem like it can be both. It’s not a big deal, but I still feel like I’m being spun. I hate being spun.