Errand Day in Irvine! My chance to score daddy points with Stef. I took her car for a smog test, oil change and wiper blades.
My phone beeped twice as I took it from its charging stand. “8%,” a large notice on the screen read. This was a problem.
By the time Stef’s car was on the lift the phone had died entirely!
I plugged it in. Nothing.
What about a cellphone free weekend. I could handle that, right?
Who am I kidding?
My phone is an HTC One. I’d get one again in a second. It’s a wonderful phone with a solid build and battery that lasts through a full day!
The AT&T store is five minutes from here. Not their job! They sent me to the central repair facility near the 405.
I handed my phone across the counter. He held it up to the light and looked at the charging port. His stare was intense.
“No water,” I offered.
They always look for water as a way to get off the hook. A few seconds later he was pushing a cloth across the port’s connectors.
“Maybe a little lint,” he said, though he didn’t sound totally convinced. “Let me put it on the charger for a few minutes.”
I went for coffee and came back to find the phone turned on with a 3% charge. It was back from the dead and slowly building its strength.
Lint? Lint did this? Or did he just get lucky?
2 thoughts on “The Cellphone’s Mortal Enemy: Lint!”
Geoff: I had the exact same problem with my IPhone 5 (Lightning Connection). Took it to the Genius Bar at Apple and in less than a minute he had it “fixed” by blowing out the lint. He even showed me the culprit before correcting. Go figure!
Lint without a doubt. Same think happened to my son’s IPhone5. Can of air and it’s as good as new. I think I need to try the same thing with my IPad.